Before you attend your interview it is very important that you have prepared properly. Preparation areas include:
- Documentation - unless requested otherwise, the only documentation you will need to bring is proof of your identity. This must be one form of photographic identification, and you should bring your passport where possible. If you do not hold a passport, then you should provide a photo-card driving licence. If you hold neither, please see the NHS employers website for further guidance. Your identification will be checked prior to the interview starting and if this does not meet the requirements you may not be interviewed.
- Structure, content and scoring framework for the interview - familiarising yourself with the format and the areas covered is advisable and, in particular, you will be required to prepare a two-minute verbal presentation overviewing your achievements which are most relevant to your application to train in internal medicine. The structure and content page gives details about this presentation and the interview as a whole.
- Interview question preparation - although it is not really possible to 'revise' before the interview, it is advisable to review your application form, experience and skills to date, achievements, etc. in advance, and to prepare yourself more generally as you would for any interview.
- Interview environment and technical requirements - all interviews will be held online and so it is important to ensure that you have the right technical set up and a good environment free from distraction. There is a declaration which you will sign up to when you apply, that covers agreement around the technical requirements and your responsibilities. Things to consider include:
- Microphone and camera - check these are working and will present you to interviewers clearly. Consider the position of the camera and microphone and test this with another person.
- Internet connectivity - as far as possible ensure your interview takes place somewhere with good and stable internet connection.
- Background - be aware of your background and avoid things which could be distracting - you could use the blur background function. Please note, if your interview is on VIDS, the new Qpercom interview platform, there is not a 'blur backround function'.
- Environment - ensure your interview is in a well-lit and quiet place which will be free from interruptions.
- Probity - ensuring your application meets GMC Good Medical Practice guidelines - there is a separate tab in this section covering this area.